Are you feeling excited to start the refurbishment of your home? It’s normal to be a little nervous too – it’s a big undertaking! We’re sure by now you’ve heard plenty of horror stories from other people about their home refurbishment nightmares. Never fear, there is plenty you can do beforehand to ensure the smooth running of your own project.
Deciding on your top goals before you begin your home refurbishment will help to keep you focused and make it easier to decide on which courses of action to take. This goes a long way in guaranteeing success.
Approach your home refurbishment as you would any other major task in your life. There are a number of tried and tested steps to take that will ensure you are in control and on top of your decisions.
Plan your London home refurbishment
Before you dive into your project, there are a few questions you should ask yourself. Write down your answers so that it’s easier for you to refer back to.
Understand your personality
No two people are the same and each of us tends to prefer things to run in a specific way. It can become stressful when things don’t go the way we would like them to. Understanding how you like to approach projects will help you plan how to tackle yours and anticipate issues before they arise.
Here are some key questions to ask yourself:
- Do you prefer to follow a strictly planned process that is mapped out beforehand or would you prefer the freedom of changing your mind along the way?
- Is it more important for you to stay strictly within budget or to be creative and open to new options, even if they lead to the budget extension?
- Do you have an idea of how you want the interior to look or you are open to suggestions?
- Have you looked at furniture and finishes and do you have an idea of what you want? Are you confident with your choice? Or do you need help to look for a more affordable solution within the same style?
- Do you know if your ideas will work?
- Are you knowledgeable about places to shop for the look? Or do you feel lost in such a huge marketplace?
- Will you need help and a second opinion occasionally or will you need to be guided every step of the way?
- Are you decisive and find it easy to stick to your decision or do you hesitate and doubt yourself?
Determining your goal
Establish how you plan to reach the goal of a successful refurbishment done in the manner of your choosing. Read the following points and keep them in mind before acting or speaking to any professional so as to not get confused during the process.
- It’s a rare opportunity to be able to create your dream home – extra time needs to be taken to think carefully about your decisions!
- You need to move as quickly as possible, so timing is critical! Hesitation might be an obstacle.
- A functional home is one that is easy to maintain. So that should be a priority over others goals.
- Have a firm idea of your final outcome – do you want a formal or casual home?
Now work towards this, always keeping your decision in mind.
Knowing who you are and what you want will allow you to find the right help for your project. Try to match the professional you hire to your needs and personality. If you’d like to hire an interior designer in London, get in touch!